Monday

...of Ruth II

Ruth 2:1-12 NIV

Back in Bethlehem, Ruth asks Naomi’s permission to glean fields. When Boaz, (the owner of the field), notices Ruth, he inquires of her and then request that she not glean in any other field. Boaz expresses a special interest in Ruth. Ruth said to Boaz, “Why have I found such favor in your eyes that you notice me-a foreigner?” v.10 Ruth had found favor in Boaz’s because he had “heard” about her and Naomi. Boaz hoped for the blessings of the Lord to be on Ruth because of this.

Quite often, when the word “heard” is used in the context of reporting, it has a negative connotation. However, what Boaz had “heard” about Ruth was positive. Reflecting on my attitude towards my mother-in-law, what would others “hear” about us? Comparing Ruth and I for the sake of my heart being changed so that I too may find protective providence under the wings of the Lord. V.12

It had been “heard” that Ruth left her father, mother, and homeland to dwell in a place with people who were not her own with her mother-in-law after her husband’s death.v.11 People would “hear” that Larie, (yeah, that’s me J), chose to go back to her homeland with her father, mother and own people. She doesn’t even communicate with her.

By choosing to stay with Naomi, Ruth had taken refuge under the wings of God. Ruth, as a Moabite, did not worship God, but she chooses to leave behind what she is accustomed to. This is her act of faith. I already claim this protection, but sadly, my faith is not like Ruth’s!

Application: When people “hear” about us, it will be because of the good that I speak of and do for my mother-in-law.

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog! How long have you had it? I'll be back often, Larie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on persevering my friend. God sees all that you are doing for Him. You are also setting the example showing God's grace in your actions. I do know how hard it is to do that when being mistreated. But I also know that God enables. He will see you though.

    Thanks for putting our button in your sidebar. :)
    Have a great day!

    Oh, I almost forgot. I need your address to mail you your Pay it Forward gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you, Larie!
    My mom never had a good relationship with my grandma (her m-i-l) and when things weren't going well with my own mil, I remember thinking - I don't want this to be like my moms' experience!
    You are so right to do good to her! Even when she doesn't treat you with love or respect, you can do good to her. And your actions will be "heard." And seen!
    Keep seeking Him, my friend. Follow His lead and you will never go wrong.

    I love you!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Y'all's comments are overwhelmingly encouraging. I appreciate them very much. They motivate me to continue being myself. Smooches!