Friday

...of the comparison makes sense in my mind!

Today I must enter a sterile room, lie on a flat table-like bed, rest my feet into holders and brace myself. For a few moments, I will have to endure some uncomfortable circumstances while answering a few questions. Someone will be speaking to me in a gentle, reassuring voice, only perpetuating the already uncomfortable situation. I guess these people have been trained to respond this way. When all is done, I will be informed that results will be available within a week’s time and if all is well, I will not have to repeat this process until next year.

Is there an easier and not so uncomfortable way?

Participating in this annual check-up reminds me of spiritual growth. The only difference, for now, that I can see is that our spiritual growth is not annual; it’s everyday. We may not recognize it, but each day is a check-up.

When I am in the middle of writing and I’m a “good part,” it is then that my kids wake up or want something. Of course I get irritated and ask them to give me a minute or I tell the child to go back to bed because it’s not time for him/her to get up! This moment is a chance to exercise unselfishness, a moment to let my child know that he/she is important. It’s more beneficial to click the save button and tend to my baby’s need. YES, it is uncomfortable for me to walk away from writing, my therapy, but wouldn’t it be more uncomfortable to hear God tell me that I have missed the point?

In comparing the annual female check-up and spiritual growth a little more, they have to happen; yet, I act as if it’s a foreign policy. I know what to expect, the examining physician talks me through the process in an effort to calm me. He or she informs me of each move they are about to make; really, there are no surprises.

God tells me what to expect as a result of living my life for Him. He too does this so that I may respond in a glorifying way and not be surprised.

However, I must admit, in spite of all the “foreknowing,” I still do not look forward to either. :)

“Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.” 1 Peter 4:12-14 NIV

3 comments:

  1. I had that annual check-up yesterday myself. This spoke to me because I have said "wait a minute" to Andrew a couple of times and I know it is wrong of me. Great scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful that at least we can schedule "that check-up" at our own convenience. And we know approximately how long we will have to endure.
    Not so with the spiritual growth "appointments." Sometimes they catch me by surprise and I often find myself wondering, When is this going to be over???
    But God knows what He's doing, and He speaks gently to me. So I trust Him!

    ReplyDelete

Y'all's comments are overwhelmingly encouraging. I appreciate them very much. They motivate me to continue being myself. Smooches!