Monday

...of shoe sizes

How is it that we glance down at the shoes of another woman and then try to slide into them? Merely glancing causes us to misjudge the size, deceivingly leading us to believe that we are able to fit in those shoes. Once our foot is inside, we take slight notice that they are a bit big but then determine that we will grow into them. Because “her” shoes don’t fit our feet, walking is a little troublesome. Those shoes feel heavy and they flop. A few times we acted surprised when a foot actually excused itself from the too big shoe. Finally, when we don’t want to be labeled as a failure, other people’s perceptions begin to dictate our pace. We speed up to a power-walk pace and end up falling down.

“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.” Exodus 20:17 NIV

Rachel attempted to walk in the shoes of her sister Leah by demanding that Jacob give her children. She told Jacob, “Give me children or I’ll die!” Genesis 30:1 NIV “Bless her heart,” all she wanted was a child; she wanted what her sister had. Rachel did not comprehend that she was not meant to wear those “Nine West” shoes that Leah wears. Ms. Rachel stepped into Ms. Leah’s shoes and walked herself to death!

…”As she breathed her last-for she was dying-she named her Ben-Oni. But his father named him Benjamin. So Rachel died and was buried on the way to Ephrath.” Genesis 35:16-19 NIV

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, Larie, I was just telling my husband today that I am too sensitive to what others think or what I think they think! We prayed that I would be set free from this bondage. It's interesting that you posted about this topic. We must be our own person, not try to walk in other's shoes for fear of disapproval.
    Thanks for your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one thing we can't do. We can't walk in someone else's shoes. We don't even know how they got to the point where they are. Sometimes my own shoes hurt and so why would I want to walk in someone else's pain! Oh no. I got enough problems of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true..I need to walk in the light of who GOD created "me" to be....not trying to be like others.
    Thank you and God Bless, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am certainly guilty of caring what others think of me or trying to live up to the standards of others when I should only be trying to live up to "His" standards!

    ReplyDelete

Y'all's comments are overwhelmingly encouraging. I appreciate them very much. They motivate me to continue being myself. Smooches!