...of not even with 2 spoons full of sugar!

At the second scan, the level showed to be at 77. The doctor questioned me about my water intake and bowel movement. I let her know that I began to feel nauseous from so much water in such a short period of time but I was on my second pitcher and had not had a bowel movement yet. She told me that I had to just deal with the nausea and drink more water because the level was not going down fast enough. She wished me a goodnight and stated that she’d be back in the morning for another scan and she would like for the level to be at or below 45. So, I drank, ate, showered 2x, read and channel surfed again throughout the night.

In between the showers, I had to ask the nurses for more sheets because I had begun to sweat. I also requested more pajamas and towels. The requested items were carefully placed in the transfer closet. I hated retrieving my meals, toiletries, linens and everything else I needed through that thing. It was just so impersonal. It just wasn’t right! I felt very isolated. The days in the hospital and first two days after being released opened my mind to the importance of human contact. I am careful about saying that I need some “alone time” now!

With the delivery of breakfast in the morning, a third scan took place.

Level 62.

Disappointed, Doctor “Nuclear Med” said she’d do another scan at noon and if she is not satisfied w/the level, she would prescribe Magnesium to provoke a bowel movement, (I still had not had one yet). She informed me that the Magnesium increases queasiness and sometimes it also provoked vomiting. More nausea and the likelihood of vomiting was not an option for me! I drank water, more water, more water, and even more water until I felt as if I could be used as a buoy! Constantly urinating, seriously like every 2.876 minutes, I decided to camp out in the bathroom. When I was scanned again, the level had only reached to 58!

Aaahhhhh! Noooooo! Pleeeeease!

Heavily sighing with slight eye rolling, the doctor left the room. Her frustration confused me because I thought that I was the radioactive, isolated, buoy bobbing, and near depend-wearing person! “What she so mad about?” Upon her return, she handed me a brown bottle labeled Magnesium and the instructions and left the room with her voice trailing, “I’ll be back at 1645.”

“Laziness brings on deep sleep, and the shiftless man goes hungry.” Proverbs 19:15 NIV


  1. OH my friend. It sounds so yucky, for a lack of a better term. And believe me I wouldn't want to be alone for a long time after something like that. I bet it does make you stop and think.
    Praying for you my sweet friend.
    Love you!

  2. I am so sorry you had to endure this and especially the isolation. I love people, but I also love alone time and often complain when I do not get it. After reading your post, I will be more careful about what I complain about. This post really hits home and puts that in perspective. Thank you for sharing the details of your journey and struggle.
    Blessings, hugs, and prayers, andrea

  3. Yeah what was she so mad about that maybe she had to come back again? Lord help us for our lack of compassion. Unfortunately not everyone who works in heathcare has compassion. Everyone in my family has worked in a hospital at one time or another. We have 2 nurses in the family. God bless u and I hope that today right now you are experiencing good health.

  4. I have no problems. Lord forgive me for ever complaining about anything. If sharing your story has accomplished only one thing, it's that I feel very, very grateful for all I have.

    You are one courageous lady!


  5. Keep hangin' in there...God always has a plan!


  6. It is so important for healthcare workers to have compassion. Sorry that you didn't get much of that during this whole ordeal. But God brought you through! :-)


Y'all's comments are overwhelmingly encouraging. I appreciate them very much. They motivate me to continue being myself. Smooches!