Wednesday

...of praying for some company

Now I’ve got to explain something to you all. During the year of 2006, I kept two journals. One was specifically for prayer and the other served as my place of “rambling.” It was kind of a documentation of my life post-cancer diagnosis. I have failed to properly inform you all of which journal entries I had been using. Therefore, this journal entry may seem out of place because in “Who Made Me Do It?” I mentioned that the year was coming to an end and I’d prayed for a new attitude in the New Year. Well, looking back at my prayer journal, I see that that prayer actually began in June of 2006…

“…I know I ain’t the only one going crazy. Somebody else got’ to know what I’m talking ‘bout and can tell me what to do.” With that, on 13 June 2006, I asked God to please send spiritual role models to Misawa for our family. I made my request as specific as possible. These role models had to be faithful to the Lord, sincerely lead by example, teach Anton and I how to be husband and wife in the way that God intended and that they taught us how to use our talents in the Body of Christ. To be even more specific, I demanded that God have these spiritual roles models to be within our peer group, no more than five to seven hears older than us and with children in our children’s peer group as well.

Sometime in August, they arrived. But, because of my specific details and “give it to me my way” attitude, I did not realize this answered prayer until AFTER the New Year! I’d also taken scripture and made it fit what I wanted…

“…Have faith in God, ‘Jesus answered.’ I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself into the sea, and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” Mark 11:22-24 NIV

Can’t you see how I just knew that I’d get exactly what I asked for? :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Larie, I cannot tell you how many times I have demanded things from God. Er, I mean, prayed specifically.
    That is such a hard concept for me to understand. We are told to ask for what we need - to be specific about it, even. But too often I wonder if I am simply demanding what I WANT and not considering the fact that God knows best.
    I remember once saying to God, Will You just confirm or deny this thing? I thought I was being fair. Not demanding, really, just letting God know I wanted a simple Yes or No.
    Then I was reminded that He doesn't need me to give Him options, and realized the answer He was giving me was Wait.
    Oh yes. To ask for what we need. To believe He is able to do it. To have confidence that He will do what is right. To relax and know that He is God.
    So thankful God has given us Jesus - that we may come to Him in prayer!

    ReplyDelete

Y'all's comments are overwhelmingly encouraging. I appreciate them very much. They motivate me to continue being myself. Smooches!